• Nurse's Notes      

    The exemptions permitted by California law are:
    Medical Exemption: A licensed physician (MD or DO) who feels a vaccine is not indicated for a student because of medical reasons should submit to the school (via the patient’s family as needed) a written statement documenting the medical exemption. A form that can assist in this process is available to physicians. The school will place a copy of the completed statement in the student’s file.
    Personal Beliefs Exemption: A parent or guardian may have a child exempted from required immunizations if immunization is contrary to their beliefs. Schools have standardized procedures for those who request a personal beliefs exemption.
    Exemptions to immunization should not be taken because of convenience. Unimmunized students are at greater risk of contracting diseases and spreading them to their families, schools and communities. Schools should maintain an up-to-date list of students with exemptions, so that these students can be excluded from school quickly if an outbreak occurs.
    New Documentation Requirement for Personal Belief Exemptions: A new California law has changed the process for obtaining exemptions to student immunizations based on personal beliefs. Assembly Bill (AB) 2109 requires documentation that health care practitioners have informed parents about vaccines and diseases. Effective January 1, 2014, parents who want to exempt their child from one or more required immunizations because of their personal beliefs must provide to the school a one-page form that documents their personal belief to abstain from immunizations and provide proof that a healthcare provider has provided information about waiving immunizations. The form that is required for ANY waivers of immunizations can be obtained online: http://eziz.org/assets/docs/IMM-8262.pdf in English and at a variety of other languages at the website listed below for immunization laws.
    To review a FAQ page about immunizations: http://www.shotsforschool.org/pbe-faq/
    For more information about immunization laws: http://www.shotsforschool.org/immunizationlaws/

    Type 2 Diabetes

    Whooping Cough Information, August 16, 2010

    Immunization Information
    All students need to be up-to-date with their immunizations to remain in school.  These include:  measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B, polio, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and chicken pox.  Any student who needs any of these immunizations needs an appointment immediately with a doctor or clinic to get up-to-date.  Students who have transferred here from another school in the United States have a four-week grace period for receiving immunization records from that school.

    Oral Health Exam
    All kindergarten students need an oral health exam.  Forms were included in the enrollment packets.  This exam should be completed by a dentist before May 2011 (but the sooner the better).  After receiving this assessment, the completed form needs to be returned to the school office.  Parents may sign a waiver if they do not want their child to have this exam.

    Medications at School
    Any student requiring medication at school needs parent and doctor permission to do so.  Forms for this are available from the health clerks at each school.  The medication needs to be brought to the school by the parent or guardian in its original container, along with the medication permission form signed by the parent and doctor. 

    Childhood Health & Disability Project (CHDP)
     All first grade students need to have had a physical completed by a doctor.  This may have occurred anytime from 6 months prior to kindergarten entry until November of the first grade year.  Contact your health clerk for appropriate form or if you need further assistance.